Tuesday, February 17, 2004

An Early Morning with Rain and Mud
This morning I awoke to another rain storm. I managed to lay in bed for a few minutes just enjoying the lighting, intense thunder, and the beautifully noisy rain. What a day to lie in bed safe and un-drenched. But such luxury was not for me.
As the muddy rivulets tumbled lower, gravity and the lack of traction threatened numerous times to make me join them. I wondered this morning if I was the only sucker out after such a furious deluge. With my journey down Makindye Hill half over I had yet to see another soul. Then a Jeep crawled up out of the mire ahead of me and waited for my approach. Either the driver wanted me to pass so he could assist me with my mud bath or he was going to offer me a ride. Admittedly, I didn’t know the gentleman. But he spoke with a British accent, had a kindly face, and since Mzungus look out for one another out here I accepted the ride. I was also encouraged in my decision by my already soaked jeans, which had become water logged around my upper thigh and bum when I took a tumble down the stairs at the beginning of the merry journey. Furthermore, my toes were beginning to feel the dampness creeping through. So I gratefully hopped into the back seat, and hoped I wouldn’t be leaving a wet spot behind. It turns out that the guy is with MAF (Missionary Aviation Fellowship) and as I expected, he knows the Slaters. He deposited me right at my taxi stop and went on his way to collect his fiancée. It is nice to know another neighbor.
Even though I had a bit of assistance on the way to school I still arrived with mud-encrusted shoes. I had intended to bring a pair of sandals in my bag to change into but my 6 am brain wasn’t screwed in when I left the house, so that plan fell through. I ended up teaching barefoot. When I thought of how many times I was scolded as a four year old for taking off my shoes in class, I was deliciously pleased with my un-attired feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home