Friday, January 30, 2004

I am sitting in a mall. A real mall. Yep, I am in Kampala. This happens to be the only mall in the country and I promise it wasn't the first place that I was interested in visiting. But it has an internet cafe.

I have tons to write and I wish I could spend half the day here telling you all the thoughts and expiriences I have had these last few days. It has been packed full of good stories. But I only have ten minutes to make a post, so I won't be spell checking this one, don't give me greif about it. I am headed to a prayer meeting so I will just just leave you with a list of firsts.

1) The smell when I stepped off the plane... the wood fires. Even the food tastes slightly smoked because the smell of wood lingers everywhere.
2) Taste of fresh papaya.
3) Meeting with my roommate. The Gecko on my bedroom wall.
4) Power outage. Standing in pitch black while Inell felt around me to find the generator button.
5) Long horned cattle that roam about and cross the streets at will.
6) The cold shower that I actually needed because I was swetty.
7) Okay, its not a first but... the Second power outage in one day. Everyone was in bed and I was writing in my journal. I ended up writing by candel light for a few minutes until the lights kicked on again.
8) Misquito. First and only one that I have seen so far. in the sugar bowl during a Bible study at the Slater's house.
9) First look at breakfast from the toilet bowl. I took Doxy, the malaria meds, to long after eating and ended up staring at minced papaya in the toilet.
10) Bible Study - 1 Thes. 5:16-18
11) Successful balancing act. I managed a cup of coffee while riding in the back of the car through the pot holes, over the make shift speed bumps, and down the hill.
12) Brushing my teeth with tap water on accident.
13) Ugandan Tea. Milky with cinimon and ginger.
14) Using a key board that isn't english on a computer that is still loaded to recognize an american keyboard. So the letters and numbers and symbols that are on the board don't line up with what comes up on the screen.
15) First time I thought of Stephen... when I smelled the wood smoke and I knew I was in your Africa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home