Monday, January 26, 2004

OXFORD IN THE WORKS
I visited Yarton Manor on Friday, the home of the Jewish Studies Program in Oxford. I went there and dropped off my application. FINNALLY!! The grounds are beautiful even in winter and the accommodations are pristine, very comfortable, and spacious. The rooms are singles but they are as large as a Niedfelt dorm room. Four people share a kitchen space and a shower. Not bad. There are menorahs on every bedroom door post and pictures of the Holy Land in the halls. There are only 13 students currently but they are willing to take up to 25. There are 10 tutors as well as some visiting scholars spending their sabbaticals at Yarton Manor for research. The good new is that my application is not too late and the lady who showed me the grounds was pleasant and encouraging. The library seemed a bit small but maybe that was because a large section was taken up with Hebrew texts. The Manor is about a 10 min drive from the city center, a bit further then I had hopped but it’s peaceful. It’s a good place for hours of solitude and study. I don't really want to go there alone. There is married housing… but I'm getting ahead of myself and dreaming. Oh well. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home