Sunday, April 25, 2004

Came back today from North Eastern Uganda, Kidepo. Way too tired to talk
about it but it was beautiful. I learned a ton about animals. I spent
time with the technical advisor to the Ugandan Wildlife Authority (Richard),
the Curator of a Zoo in Holland (Marijo), a wild life senses guy and
director of some conservation thing the Holland guys are looking at, and the
Manager of the Holland Zoo. I was within 4 yards of a male elephant who
hangs out in the ranger village I stayed in, heard lions roaring at night
near by (but never saw them), came close to 80 elephants with babies, saw
about 500 water buffalo, and several small heards of zebras with a few babies
among them as well. The land scape was glorious, I could see the milky way,
I got sunburnt, and rode in the back of a pickup. In flight I saw several
villages some no longer inhabited because of the fighting, a refugee
camp/town, a rebel controlled city, trees blasted from the battle 5 weeks ago
in the park where 60 people died (a Ugandan tribe attacked a Sudanees tribe,
both catttle herders, trying to steal cows. They do this thing all the time
but not often inside the park. The Sudanees have been grazing near to 1000
cattle in the park because their pasture lands are all used up.)

Evening prayer on the Sabbath - Sunset in the National Park, 360 degree view
of grass lands sparcely covered in trees with purple mountians off in the
distance. Huge white clouds and the stillness that comes with no cars, no
phones, no electricity. An elephant slowly munching near by and the quite
call of village voices and laughter of children. All this I saw and desired
to worship Him for, yet my soul refused to fly on this beauty as if it were
senseless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home