Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Classes and Cat Calls
I taught a full day of classes today, all on my own. I don't think the kids hate me yet. I rode the taxi to and from school as well all alone, well, with 14 other Ugandans at any given time. I discovered on the way home that I am fine as long as I keep my head down. Since I don't understand the language I can't distinguish between a cat call and general friendliness so I just don't look. Since the guys are the only ones being friendly in a talkative way I figure its safe to assume they are just being men. My white skin makes me stand out in a crowd but it gets embarrassing to get all this attention when I look like crap, a full day of work and dust saturated hair and skin. The worst part was when the guys in the taxi driving next to us were so loud and kept yelling at me. I tried to pretend not to notice. At least the taxi people are polite. It takes an hour and a half to get to school, but that includes my long walk down the mountain so I can get to where the taxis are. one of the blessings is that I ride only on paved roads. I pick up the taxis right at the beginning of the pavement and I get off on a major road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home